home

February 26, 2009

There's something sacred about "home" to me.
Home base confirms i'm SAFE and my striving can stop.
Even the idea of being 'home free' is a sure-fire recipe for a hearty sigh of relief.
When i feel at home, I'm at rest. It rest assured that 'home' is around even when I'm not.
The foundation is sturdy and strong - rooted in friendships, honesty and grace.

I live in my parents house in Montreal for most of the year. I love my family and have grown in respect for the members within this house throughout my 21 years. Part of me is home here, with them. I can feel safe with them, be myself - no matter what. For the rest of the year, I live in a quaint cabin beside a basketball court in a place where 'combo-packs' and candy are valid currency. There, with friends who I admire and learn from everyday that we're together, I have a second home. Home is also the table that joins two friends meeting to hear eachother out after a falling out. We were MADE for that kind of 'home'-ness. It's called community!

Sometimes it's really not that comfy. Am I right? People move, people hurt, people forget, people leave and not least, people let you down. They may have their reasons, you may have your regrets, and their may be some brokenness. Home base is cracked. Home free is tampered with. It hurts, but is it lost? Where did 'home' start? Where did "safe and sound" take off? Well, with the God of the nation of Israel. His name was so holy that they didn't even spell it all the way out. They left out the vowels: Y-H-W-H.

Genesis 49:
24 But his bow remained steady,
his strong arms stayed limber,
because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob,
because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,
25 because of your father's God, who helps you,
because of the Almighty, who blesses you
with blessings of the heavens above,
blessings of the deep that lies below,
blessings of the breast and womb.

You are steadied by the hand of the Mighty One. Don't you love that motherly imagery - a womb! Talk about protection. You're safe. He's faithful, and you can have real freedom in Him. Rest! Be real - don't leave anything out. Get to know this freedom, this resting place, this foundation. Be at home.


Yesterday, Today & Forever (Vicky Beeching)

Everlasting God, the years go by but you're unchanging
In this fragile world, You are the only firm Foundation
Always loving, always true,
Always merciful and good, so good

Yesterday, Today and Forever
You are the same You never change
Yesterday, Today and Forever
You are faithful
We will trust in You

Uncreated One, You have no end and no beginning
Earthly powers fade but there is no end to Your Kingdom
Always loving, always true,
Always merciful and good, so good

Yahweh, God unchanging
Yahweh, firm foundation
Yahweh, God unchanging
Yahweh, firm foundation

Post a Comment

off with your sandals. Design by Berenica Designs.