observing rest

October 9, 2012

The Antithesis of Psalm 23
by Marcia K. Hornok

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression. It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity’s sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it done, 
For my “ideal” is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, 
beyond the limits of my schedule.
They annoint my head with migraines.
My in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.


I am really bad at finding, choosing and valuing rest. I am learning what it is to truly rest and how resting is an act of obedience. In fact, right now I am enjoying some jazz in the middle of the week - just chillin'. This is not lazy; this is wise! 


“Jesus calls us to his rest, and meekness is His method. The meek man cares not at all who is greater than he, for he has long ago decided that the esteem of the world is not worth the effort.” - A.W. Tozer


Jesus says in Matthew 11:28+29 - "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls."


Soul-Level Relief. Deep Ease. Needed Refreshment. Recreation (fun!). Blessed Quiet. For my SOUL! 


"Japanese Version of Psalm 23"
(Composed by Toki Miyashina and broadcast by Rev. Eric Frost on 4th May 1965)


The Lord is my Pace-setter, I shall not rush;
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals.
He provides me with images of stillness,which restore my serenity;
He leads me in ways of efficiency through calmness of mind,
And His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here.
His timelessness, His all importance, will keep me in balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity.
Surely harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours,
For I shall walk in the peace of my Lord, and dwell in His house forever.

Post a Comment

off with your sandals. Design by Berenica Designs.