here comes the bride

May 14, 2010

even the thought of a bride walking down the aisle gets me every time. gets me thinking, that is, and for good reason, about choice and love, promises and beauty. the beauty lies in the act of one person surrendering their right to pursue their own selfish goals and choosing sacrifice for the benefit of the other... 'as long as they both shall live'. it's promise is for forever. it's real. it's beautiful. it's really beautiful.

i was listening not long ago to a man speak about the choice we make for God when we choose to 'do life' with Him. when my choices become not only an inner dialogue but a group discussion. it includes being part of community and being accountable for my life's choices. he said that the real question Jesus is asking us as we journey through life is "will you marry me?". that is: will you, forsaking all others, love Me?

it's the 'forsaking all others' bit that I have trouble with when it comes to my relationship with Jesus. i love God, and with His loving kindness and faithfulness, it's not Him that makes it a difficult task. but, boy, do i love others. i thrive on the approval of those 'others' and am spurred on by the slightest inclination of "well done". these come in the form of a smile, nod, wink, high five, pat on the back, props*, laugh, direct verbal affirmation, an "i'll take that as a compliment" moment.... yep, gimme anything and i'll boast of it to myself. it's often in the words and encouragement or discouragement others that i choose to cling. it's the story i tell myself - 'they think you are so...' whatever it is.

Henri Nouwen says (Inner Voice of Love) "your inexhaustible need for affection is an addiction. stop being a pleaser and reclaim your identity as a free self... let go of all these self-made props* and trust that God is enough for you".

God calls me away from the 'others' rat race i find myself caught up in. i'm beckoned to come, be welcomed in, stand before Him, and find myself in the Truth of His love for me.

Nouwen goes on to say: "you are being asked to trust that you will find what you need in [Him]... which requires the death of what has become so precious to you: influence, success, yes, even affection and praise".

maybe that's what's beautiful about a bride & groom - their relationship is a gift whereby God restores to them the Truth of who they are in the presence of their beloved. the truth of themselves as one who is loved. the new couple is choosing life together as a 'carrying out' of the Love poured on them by their Maker.

-----------------------------------------------------
My Beloved
(by:kari jobe)

you're my beloved, you're my bride
to sing over you is my delight
come away with me, my love
under my mercy come and wait
'til we are standing face to face
i see no stain on you, my child
you're beautiful to me
so beautiful to me

i sing over you my song of peace
cast all your cares down at my feet
come and find your rest in me
i'll breathe my life inside of you
i'll bear you up on eagle's wings
and hide you in the shadow of my strength
i'll take you to my quiet waters
i'll restore your soul
come rest in me and be made whole
---------------------------------------------------

Matthew 22:14
"Now go to the main roads & invite to the wedding feast as many as you can find"

6 comments

  1. Hmmm...thanks for letting us/me in on your thoughts Rachel...challenged me to take a look at my own life / my life with God. I appreciate your posts...may God bless you as you seek to follow Him with all of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this song some time ago, you may enjoy this

    I do choose you, to be my Husband, be my lord.
    To have, to hold from this day forward beyond death,
    So whatever life may bring,
    Health or sickness, lack or plenty,
    I pledge my offering of faithfulness to you.
    Forsaking all others living only for you,
    Forsaking all others living only for you.
    I do give you, my heart and all that possess,
    to love to cherish every word and each caress.
    So whatever life may bring, joy or sorrow, tears or laughter,
    Receive this offering of faithfulness to you.
    Forsaking all others living only for you,
    Forsaking all others living only for you.
    As live begins, until death completes our holy covenant.
    I’ll take your hand, guide your steps, and show you how to dance this divine romance.
    I do choose you, to be my wife, be my love, so whatever life may bring, joy or sorrow, tears or laughter, receive this offering of faithfulness to you.
    Forsaking all others, only for you.

    Steve Mitchinson (with Kathryn Scott)
    http://www.stevemitchinsonmusic.com/bio.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love this post. I've read it several times, but I like to re-read it! You have an amazing gift for teaching worship. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you posted a link to your Observing Rest post on Facebook today, I decided to look through your blog as a study break treat to myself, and my, has God ever gifted you with wisdom and a way with words. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights - they're hugely encouraging, uplifting, and filled with truth (and lots of things I needed to hear/be reminded of)! May God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Christina! Glad any of this was a blessing. I personally think all study breaks are good for the soul :)

      Delete

off with your sandals. Design by Berenica Designs.